Monday, March 23, 2015

St. Patrick's Day Recap

Last week we had a lot of St. Patrick's Day fun. It is amazing how a little leprechaun magic can engage a whole group. We read the book That's What Leprechaun's Do by Eve Bunting and my students just loved it. One of my favorite tools for comprehension is to ask and answer questions as we read the text. Here is a picture of the anchor chart we created:

This story was an instant gem. My students loved talking about the leprechaun's mischief in the story. The last page is all about the legend of the leprechaun. After reading the story, our leprechaun made mischief in the classroom. We tried with all of our might, but he was just too tricky to catch. My students were so bummed they didn't catch him. Luckily, he left them chocolate coins...and eating just one saved the day! Phew! Here is a picture of one of the leprechaun traps:


The kids had so many questions about rainbows we did a little research into how they are made. (Anytime the kids have a question like "how are rainbows made?", they ask me to ask Siri. It cracks me up. Do your students do that too? I try to show them other methods of research, but sometimes Siri is just what we need.)
We also did this little color mixing experiment:
I poured vinegar into three clear cups and added red, yellow, and blue food coloring. We made predictions on what would happen when we poured a little of the blue and yellow together and continued with different colors until we had all colors of the rainbow. If you had walked past my door on Wednesday afternoon, you would have thought I was performing a magic show with all of the excitement. Oh how I love kinders!

Once we made our rainbow, I gave each kiddo a bowl with baking soda in it and we made more predictions about what would happen when we added the colored vinegar. Then, we shared the droppers and made our own fizzy rainbows.

I couldn't resist pouring some extra baking soda in what was left of our green vinegar for some good old messy fun.

As we like to say in my room, "Sweeeeeet!"

Happy Teaching!
Jen