Saturday, March 7, 2015

Dr. Seuss Week

I always tell new teachers, there will be a time in January, February, or March that will be the hardest time of your year. You are tired and are s-o ready for spring break. It is in those times, when you have to create some fun and remember why you became a teacher. For me this year, that feeling came around Dr. Seuss' birthday/ Read Across America week. It was time to get little wacky and have some fun!

Monday was Green Eggs and Ham day. We brought in pictures of foods we liked to eat and foods we did't like to eat and used them during writing. I also made these fun little treats for them to enjoy!


Tuesday was The Cat in the Hat. The kids wore some pretty sweet hats! I forgot to take a picture so this picture is actually from a couple of years ago on Halloween when I was pregnant with The Conductor.


Wednesday was Wacky Wednesday and oh, boy did we get wacky! We had mismatched socks, crazy hair, goofy clothes, pipe cleaners coming from glasses, and more! I pulled out some red butcher paper and we had a fashion show. Each kiddo drew and wrote a description of their outfit for me to read as they modeled. Here is my model (please excuse the messy handwriting, #teacherfail):

From one of my students:

(I am wearing a yellow shirt. I am wearing an orange shirt. I am wearing a polkadot skirt. I am wearing pajamas. I am wearing mismatched socks. I am wearing mismatched shoes)

Thursday we read Oh The Places You'll Go and brought in pictures from our favorite vacations. We also read One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and made these fun treats for snack.


To end our week we brought in our favorite stuffed animals and read If I Ran the Zoo. We wrote about the animals we would have in our zoo.

Your never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child. ~ Dr. Seuss

Next up, St. Patrick's Day! I hope you had a fun week too! Jen