Thursday, March 12, 2015

Recently I had an epiphany about my word wall. I wanted it to be more interactive for my students. I don't have a picture of my previous word wall, but it was pretty basic. I put the words on the wall...we practice them together...the end. My students used it for writing, but either had to go over to the wall with their papers to see the words or had to look at them from their tables. These are all fine options, but I wanted more. I wanted my students to be able to take the words back to their seat to help them with their writing and I wanted to model that during interactive writing. And that is how my new word wall was born:



My students love this new set up. We use the word wall everyday. My students sight words knowledge has increased. They are also using sight words in their writing in a meaningful way. This has also helped my struggling students increase their letter sound knowledge by matching beginning sounds to their letters/pictures on the word wall.
Click here to find this resource.

Happy Friday!

Jen